Building Identical Configurations

fbsd_user fbsd_user at a1poweruser.com
Sat Feb 4 07:47:35 PST 2006

I use "ghost" to create a compressed image copy of the systems hard
drive to a
second H.D. or cdrom, or dvd. Then boot from it to restore to the
hard drive
of the PC I want to have the same system.

Ghost is a ms/windows pgm, but it uses it's own pc-dos version of
ghost to
do native DOS dump/restores without widows.  After the restore just
boot
from the target HD and you have a cloned box of the original.

When doing a hard drive dump it takes the mbr and boot records so it
can restore
to different or bigger sized HD with no problems. It works the same
way for
windows/freebsd/lunix or for that matter any operating system that
uses the standard
mbr hard drive configuration.