Why does portsdb -Uu run so long?

Xn Nooby xnooby at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 23:18:50 PST 2006

> It just does, after you cvsup new ports cd into /usr/ports and type
> make fetchindex. what way is the "old foolproof way"?

Here is how I update my system (without using a 'make fetchindex')

  cvsup -g -L 2 /root/stable-supfile
  less UPDATING
  make buildworld
  make buildkernel
  make installkernel
  shutdown now
  cd /usr/src
  make installworld
  mergemaster
  shutdown -r now
  portsdb -Uu
  portversion -l "<"
  portupgrade -arR
  reboot

It takes forever, but it works everytime.  Everything else I've ever tried
has always had some kind of error, and I never know what they mean or what I
should do.

Maybe by never doing a fetchindex, I've never really updated my system, and
thats why its never had a problem, lol. That would be embarassing.