"Firefox is already running" problem on 6.0

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Fri Feb 3 17:13:56 PST 2006

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 05:47:36PM -0600, Jacob S wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 18:26:18 -0500
> Jesse Sheidlower <jester at panix.com> wrote:
> >
> > As I said in my original message, "The only FreeBSD-related
> > message about this that I found talks about deleting lock
> > files in ~/.mozilla, but I don't have any Firefox lock files."
> > I don't have any Mozilla lock files either, for that matter.
>
> It would help if you could show us how you know, rather than simply
> stating that you know. Did you run the find command looking for lock
> files? If yes, please copy/paste the exact command you used. Also, have
> you run a "ps ax | grep firefox", looking for rogue firefox processes
> that didn't quit properly?

To respond to this and the two related messages, I know because I
both manually descended into ~/.mozilla and looked at every directory
therein; did a "locate" (with a fresh database); and ran:

$ find .mozilla -print | grep -i lock
$

Also,

$ ps -aux | grep fire
$

And

$ lsof | grep fire
bash      59914 jester  cwd   VDIR       0,84        512 1530891 /usr/home/jester/.mozilla/firefox
bash      90239 jester  cwd   VDIR       0,84        512 1530891 /usr/home/jester/.mozilla/firefox
$

I confess to not knowing exactly what the last means; I don't
have any terminals open at ~/.mozilla/firefox, and if those
first numbers are PIDs they don't correspond to any running
processes.

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower