Compaq ProLiant 1600 server freezes when detecting keyboard

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Feb 3 03:13:36 PST 2006

That's an interesting workaround, I'll have to remember that.

Yes, it is the USB.  Linux has the same problem and the same fix -
disable the USB driver in the kernel.  The problem is that in
the 1600, the motherboard chipset has basically half a USB
setup.  It has the port chip but no USB buss.  You can look all over
the motherboard and you will not find a take-off or header for a
USB connector.  Yet, load any os that autodetects USB, like Win XP,
and it will find the USB chip.

I'd be quite happy to install without a mouse, but I would definitely
want the psm port available once I had recompiled the kernel without
the USB drivers.

Ted