NVidia GeForce 6600 problems

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Feb 2 04:05:17 PST 2006

Alejandro Pulver wrote:

>On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 15:06:21 -0300
>Alejandro Pulver <alejandro at varnet.biz> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>I have recently bought a GeForce 6600 video card, and sometimes (not
>>very often) I experience the following problem:
>>
>>A little after starting X11 (for example when I start downloading
>>e-mails), the screen freezes a few seconds, after that the screen
>>looks like if widgets (buttons, text, etc.) aren't drawn, and the
>>white background of Sylpheed-Claws covers the screen. Then I am
>>forced to switch to the 1st console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), which takes around
>>30 seconds, and then kill X11.
>>
>>I have FreeBSD 5.4 release, Xorg 6.8.2 and nvidia-driver 1.0.8178.

I have a 6600 with FreeBSD 5.4 XOrg 6.8.2 but still
nvidia-driver-1.0.7676_1.  I have an occasional problem where the whole
screen is shifted left on startup, but exiting and restarting X fixes
it.  You could try downgrading to an older nvidia-driver and see if it
helps.  Portdowngrade should do that, but I've never used it myself.

You may have more luck if you try the nvidia support forum.  Definitely
slower than this mailing list but someone from nvidia was reading it,
last time I used it.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=47

--Alex