Will FreeBSD run on an Intel Pentium II with 32MB RAM ??

Leonidas Tsampros ltsampros at upnet.gr
Wed Feb 1 23:05:06 PST 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 11:46:48AM +0530, Pranav Peshwe wrote:
> Hello,
>          I have a machine with an Intel Pentium II processor and 32 MB
> of RAM.Will i be able to run FreeBSD 5.4 on it ?
>          I want to use that machine for a very limited purpose i.e as
> a host providing the debugging environment for another machine.I want
> this P II machine for debugging the kernel on another machine (P4
> 2.8Ghz HT) using remote GDB.Will this machine be able to run FBSD 5.4
> with GDB (GNU gdb 6.1.1 configured as "i386-marcel-freebsd" ) ? Will i
> be able to use GDB from emacs (GUD) on this machine ?

I think that's reasonable hardware for it's purpose. However i think
opening gdb under emacs  will hog your RAM. See the output of top below:

 7320 gaghiel       1  96    0 17944K 12184K select   0:01  0.00% emacs
 7357 gaghiel       1  96    0  4424K  3728K select   0:00  0.00% gdb

I really don't have any real experencie debugging another crashed
machine in the network but i assume that part of an ordinary process.

Anyway, if i were you, i would some memory on this machine. Maybem,
that would helped things a bit.