SSH with Public Key Authentication (Was: Re: Attention: Giorgos Keramidas (Was: CVS Import Permissions))

david bryce davidbryce at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 1 16:33:12 PST 2006

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 01:04:19 +0100, "Daniel A." <ldrada at gmail.com> said:
> > Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I have tried using SSH in
> > the past, and got stuck setting up the public key login (that's
> > why we're using pserver).
> >
> > I spent a few hours yesterday trying to get SSH going again. I can
> > login with SSH from the windows machine using Putty, but only when
> > I use password authentication. In order to use cvs with ssh (using
> > the plink program in Putty), we must use public key authentication.
> >
> > We are getting a 'Key Refused' error when trying to use public key
> > authentication. I have tried doing several things including editing
> > the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file:
>
> Try one or more of the following things:
> - Use puttygen to import your private key, and then export as .ppk
> - Load your key.ppk into pageant, and let it manage your private key(s)
> - Log in using your private key from the server (ie. login to the
> server with your password, and then from the shell ssh
> username at localhost).
>
> Please inform me of your results.

Daniel,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

We are currently using pageant to manage the private key. However,
the keys we are using are generated with puttygen (not from the
server). The public key was then copied to the authorized_keys
file on the server. Would you recommend generating the keys on
the server? Do you have an idea where are some instructions
about how to generate the keys on the server? Thanks!

Regards,

DB

--
  david bryce