DNS nslint error messages

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Feb 1 06:55:10 PST 2006

Brad Gilmer wrote:
> Chuck and Gorgios,
>
> Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Sure.  At least occasionally, we manage to be helpful.  :-)

[ ... ]
> Chuck, you said,
>> The second one (nslint error) recommends adding a line like:
>>  localhost       IN A 127.0.0.1
>
>> ... to your gilmer.org zone, using no "." at the end to create a
> localhost.EXAMPLE.COM entry.
>
> But when I make this change to the localhost entry in the
> /etc/namedb/master/gilmer.org file, nslint reports:
>
> nslint: missing "a": localhost. -> 127.0.0.1

This is the same issue as before; you don't have a "localhost" zone.

> nslint: missing "ptr": localhost.gilmer.org. -> 127.0.0.1

This means that you don't have a reverse zone file for 127.in-addr.arpa:

;
; BIND reverse data file for local loopback interface
;

$TTL 864000

@       IN      SOA     localhost. root.localhost. (
                              1         ; Serial
                         604800         ; Refresh
                          86400         ; Retry
                        2419200         ; Expire
                         604800 )       ; Default TTL
;
@       NS      localhost.
1.0.0   PTR     localhost.

> nslint: 127.0.0.1 in use by localhost.gilmer.org. and localhost.

This means nslint is being too picky, but adding a reverse zone file with a PTR
record might hush it up.

--
-Chuck