Flash in freebsd

Mario Lobo mario.lobo at ipad.com.br
Wed Dec 27 04:22:16 PST 2006

Read these instructions from Arjan van Leeuwen.

It works perfectly !!

============================
Hi Henry, others,

As of the latest weekly development release of Opera (see
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/), it's now possible to use any Linux
plugin in the native Opera for FreeBSD version, including Flash and
Acrobat Reader. The feature will be included in the upcoming Opera 9.1.

For now, it'll require some actions to get it to work, but if you'd like
to experiment with this, this might help:
0) Make sure you have the x11/linux-xorg-libs port installed.

1) Download and extract the latest weekly release for both FreeBSD and
Linux:
http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/Weekly-507/intel-freebsd/opera-9.10-20061205.4-shared-qt.i386.freebsd-en-507.tar.bz2
http://snapshot.opera.com/unix/Weekly-507/intel-linux/opera-9.10-20061205.1-static-qt.i386-en-507.tar.bz2
(FreeBSD package is for FreeBSD 6.x and requires Qt installed)

2) Copy operapluginwrapper from the Linux package over to the FreeBSD
package:
$ cd opera-9.10-20061205.4-shared-qt.i386.freebsd-en-507
$
cp  ../opera-9.10-20061205.1-static-qt.i386-en-507/plugins/operapluginwrapper
plugins/

Now, if you want to run the Opera weekly directly from the package without
installing (will use a fresh, empty profile, recommended):

3) Copy libnpp.so within the FreeBSD package to a new location:
$ cp plugins/libnpp.so bin/libnpp.so

4) Run Opera
$ ./opera

If instead you want to install Opera for all users (will overwrite
existing installations and use your default profile, not recommended with
development releases like this):

3) Run install
$ ./install.sh

4) Copy libnpp.so manually to the Opera binary directory
$ cp plugins/libnpp.so /usr/local/share/opera/bin/

5) Run Opera
$ /usr/local/bin/opera

The actions described here do not affect Java; you'll still be able to run
Java applets with the native version of Java (such as diablo-jdk or
diablo-jre).

We appreciate any reports on whether this feature works as expected (or
doesn't at all).

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:31:30 +0100, Henry Lenzi <henry.lenzi at gmail.com>
wrote:

>  Thanks for you support. I have posted on the forum, on ocasion.
>  The main issues, for me, are
>  1) Java (idiablo-jdk - it doesn't work, even though the path is right);

I'm using it here - the path to use is
/usr/local/diablo-jdk1.5.0/jre/lib/i386/. You can post on the forum if you
have more problems with this. It could be that you're using a package
that's compiled for a different version of FreeBSD; use the .4 package if
you're on FreeBSD 6.

>  2)  the Flash plugin. Is there a way to use the Linux emulation layer
> in order to get the plug-in working?

See above :)

>  3) Cyrillic fonts look small, and you can't make them bigger.

I don't know about that, but you could file a bug at
http://bugs.opera.com/.

Best regards,

Arjan van Leeuwen

   //| //|          Mario Lobo
  // |// |          http://www.ipad.com.br
 //  //  |||||||   FreeBSD since 2.2.8 - 100% Rwindows-free