Need to restrict DNS requests to just 5 per second

Tek Bahadur Limbu teklimbu at wlink.com.np
Tue Dec 26 23:30:31 PST 2006

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 07:49:09 -0600
Len Conrad <LConrad at Go2France.com> wrote:

> >I need to restrict dns (udp) requests to not more than 3 requests per
> >second from each client's IP.
>
> restricting DNS query rate, if you can find a way, will probably slow
> your clients' operations very noticeably.
>
> What problem are you trying to solve?
>
> Len

Dear All,

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions. Actually, the reason
why I want to implement this restriction is because some clients whose
Windows PCs are infected with viruses and malwares send up to 10-20
bogus DNS queries per second which causes the traffic utilization to go
almost 5 times high on the dns server.

This name server is not authoritative and allows recursion only
to my internal clients defined in my ACL.

Well I will definitely looked into 'recursive-clients' and
'tcp-clients' and also at PF to implement the restriction as suggested
by Matthew.

But since I am currently using IPFW and if I implement another PF
firewall, will it result in unexpected consequences.

Since I am very new to both FreeBSD and Bind, I think
I have got more help and information than I need from you guys.:)

Thanks alot once again.

- --

With best regards and good wishes,

Yours sincerely,