Changing network card FreeBSD after install

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Tue Dec 26 08:05:38 PST 2006

On Tue, Dec 26, 2006 at 04:17:19AM -0800, linux quest wrote:

> I am a UNIX newbie. I think I made the wrong selection for my network
> card -causing me unable to connect to the Internet. Now, I would like
> to choose my a new network card during installation of FreeBSD. So, I
> did tried sysinstall command, but, it seems that I am unable to select
> my network card from there.

I suggest you type "ifconfig" to see what network devices FreeBSD sees
in your system. Then rather than the Windows thing where one makes
changes and reboots to see if it works, manually test first. Once you
know what is needed make the changes to rc.conf and reboot to make
sure. Or if one is cocky, just make the changes to rc.conf and do not
reboot.

Likely you get an IP address via DHCP from your ISP or from a router. So
if your ethernet interface is fxp0 then as root "killall dhclient" to
stop the one you previously caused to start in rc.conf, then "dhclient
fxp0" to start another on the proper interface.

If that works then find "DHCP" in /etc/rc.conf and change it to:
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"

Of course, use your NIC device in place of fxp0. And if your first guess
didn't work, killall dhclient again and try with your 2nd guess.

You have run sysinstall several times? Then there will probably be
multiple sets of ifconfig_ lines appended at the bottom of the file.
Remove the extras.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net