not everything coming up on a reboot

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Sat Dec 23 14:43:01 PST 2006

On Saturday 23 December 2006 15:36, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 12/23/06, Beech Rintoul <beech at alaskaparadise.com> wrote:
> > Do you have ppp-user_enable="yes" in your /etc/rc.conf?
>
> No, and looking at ppp-user, I don't see why I'd need one. I have
> ppp_enable="YES".
>

> # PROVIDE: ppp-user
> # REQUIRE: netif isdnd
> # KEYWORD: nojail
>
> . /etc/rc.subr
>
> name="ppp"
> rcvar="ppp_enable"
> start_cmd="ppp_start"
> stop_cmd=":"
>
> Now, I do notice that the stock script comes with a REQUIRE isdnd as
> well as netif. As I'm not running isdn, would that stop rc from
> bringing the script up, or are REQUIREs OR'd and not AND'd?
>
> Mike
> --
Mike,

I'm not so much familiar with rcorder and how it works, so I might be out of
my depth ... but here goes ...

It appeas that /etc/rc uses "-s nostart" when it arranges scripts in /etc/rc.d
for startup (using rcorder).  If you are running in a jail it will also
use "-s nojail"

Clearly if you are running ppp in a jail you don't get to start via rc

It does not appear that rcorder is invoked when you run the script from the
command line ... thus it will start when you invoke it manually as long
as /etc/rc.conf agrees.

Do this:

rcorder -s nostart /etc/rc.d/*

Does ppp show up?  If not then there is the problem.  As to WHY .. well you'd
have to ask the developer.

But If I was trouble-shooting to get it to work until the developer of rcorder
got back with me, I this I'd do it this way:

1) copy /etc/rc.d/ppp-user to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ppp-user (so I can monkey
with it without messing things up.
2) change ppp_enable="YES" to ppp_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf
3) make up a new variable (e.g. mikes_ppp_enable) and put it in /etc/rc.conf
in place of ppp_enable.  Of course, set it to mikes_ppp_enable="YES"
4) alter the new /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ppp-user to make it use mikes_ppp_enable
5) reboot

If ppp does not start then ...

edit /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ppp-user to REMOVE the # REQUIRE line

reboot again

If ppp STILL does not start ... well ... i don't like my solutions, but ...
I'd delete all of the rcorder information from my script and hang on until
the developer (or someone else) could help me straighten it out.

lane