FF 2.0 hogging the cpu in FreeBSD 6.2-PRELEASE

Christian Walther cptsalek at gmail.com
Sat Dec 23 12:37:50 PST 2006

On 23/12/06, Michael P. Soulier <msoulier at digitaltorque.ca> wrote:
[...]
> Firefox is a pig on every platform. Plus, more sites are using
> javascript for AJAX these days, pushing more and more load onto the
> client.

I agree. It's painfull to see that you browse a website and it
consumes all your cpu cycles eventually. Since most of these scripts
are used to power adverts or some graphical stuff that really isn't
necessary, I use FF with the Adblock, NoScript, and
Flashblock-Extension.
Adblock filters known ads, together with "Adblock Filter.G Updater"
you get a decent list of ad placing sites.
NoScript is configured to block all JavaScripts by default, and if I
think that a website doesn't behave as I would expect (e.g. doesn't
react on URL- oder buttonpresses in forms), I temporarily allow
scripts for this site. Sites I visit regularly that require JavaScript
get general permission.
Flashblock teaches embedded Flash-Objects "on demand"-behaviour by
replacing them with a play button. The Animation is only started after
this button is being pressed.
This puts an end to high CPU load...