X server remote login and sound

Roger Olofsson raggen at passagen.se
Thu Dec 21 05:23:28 PST 2006

Dear mailing list,

First of all, thanks you for the thread "X server remote login" I read
it and configured a FreeBSD as follows:

# cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg && make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/x11/wdm && make install clean
# cd /usr/ports/x11-wm/fluxbox-devel && make install clean

Then I configured according to: http://www.damnsmallbsd.org/~helio/#GUI

After that I fired up wdm, installed Xming from Sourceforge on a windows
machine, fired up XLaunch and hey presto remote FreeBSD desktop!

Now the follow-up question. How do I squeeze sound through? I want vlc
running on the FreeBSD desktop to play sound on the Xming:ed Windows
machine.

Grateful for any input on the matter.