Problem with USB DVD drive

Brett Davidson brett at net24.co.nz
Thu Dec 21 03:48:07 PST 2006

First post to the list!

I have a CD-rom drive attached to an Intel Server but required some data
from a DVD.
So I attached my USB DVD-rom drive and got the following in dmesg after
I disconnected and reconnected the device :

umass0: at uhub4 port 4 (addr 2) disconnected
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
umass0: detached
umass0: USB2.0 External Mass Storage Device, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2
umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB reset failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, IOERROR
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, IOERROR
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): got CAM status 0x4
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): lost device
umass0: at uhub4 port 4 (addr 2) disconnected
(cd0:dead_sim0:0:0:0): removing device entry
umass0: detached
umass0: USB2.0 External Mass Storage Device, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2
umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (STALLED)
cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <IMATION IMW8844DL8E VSI3> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 40.000MB/s transfers
cd0: cd present [890560 x 2048 byte records]
g_vfs_done():acd0[READ(offset=32768, length=2048)]error = 5

To me, it looks like the usb device is attempting to map the USB DVD
drive over the top of the existing cd0 CD device. (that device is seen
in the last few lines above) Is that a correct reading of the dmesg
output?
If so, is there a map file that would allow me to force any devices to
map to, say, the cd1 device instead?
(cd1 is present within the /dev directory).

Before anyone suggests this, I don't want to remove the existing CD
drive.

Cheers,
Brett.