FreeBSD & fakeraid RAID10 @ Intel ICH7

Lada 'Ray' Lostak ray at unreal64.net
Wed Dec 20 01:11:20 PST 2006

Hello there,

	I am having troubles with FreeBSD (6.1) and supermicro server with
ICH7R "raid" controller. I have created RAID10 array from 4 SATA wester
digital raptors.

	After CD boot, I can see 5 HDD's: wd0-2d3 & ar0. So, all seems to be
fine. fdisk & labeling is without any roubles. I tried fully dedicated
and comaptiblke fdisk setups. Installation itselfs also without any
problem, I can see that BSD is accessing RAID array (all 4 HDD's in
use). Size of array etc. is correct on ar0 device. I also tried both
possible boot managers avilable while installation.

	After reboot, BSD don't boot and I can see message "Boot error".
Nothing more. I have no clue, if this is BIOS or readed MBR/bootsector.
ctrl+alt+delete works this time and I can reboot machine.

	So, there is some boot problem, which I was not abble to solve.

	When I setup just mirror RAID (2 HDD's) - all works fine.

Thank you in advance for any help/link  :)

--
Best regards,
Lada 'Ray' Lostak