acrobatviewer

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue Dec 19 21:30:41 PST 2006

> Stevan Tiefert wrote:
>
> I have installed acrobatviewer-1.1 and diablo-jre-1.5.0.07.01_1.
> Each time I want to use acrobatviewer, this message appears:
>
> $ AcrobatViewer
> expr: illegal option -- r
> usage: expr [-e] expression
> $ AcrobatViewer redbook.pdf
> expr: illegal option -- r
> usage: expr [-e] expression
> $

[Suggestions of using xpdf or kpdf...]

> this thread is confusing me... An example: If I ever would have a
> problem with the FreeBSD-Kernel you would suggest me to use a
> linux-kernel?

> I have a problem with acrobatviewer... I wanted maybe a hint or
> solution with my problem and not alternatives.

Some people would read your question as "What can I use to view PDFs?"
They're trying to help.  Nobody has suggested acroread yet, which also
works.

As to your original question, there are several problems with with
escaping and quoting in the AcrobatViewer shell script.  That whole
script is a problem.  What it's supposed to do is set up an environment
to actually run the Java code.

You can run it directly:

java -cp acrobat.jar com.adobe.acrobat.Viewer
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com/apple/mrj/MRJAboutHandler

(The same error shows up when you run the "LAX" version set up by the
shell script.)

Web searching led to this:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/msg/a49b39f4960fca76?dmode=source