Server Problem

Beech Rintoul beech at alaskaparadise.com
Mon Dec 18 20:15:02 PST 2006

On Monday 18 December 2006 13:51, ossama abdel-haleem wrote:
> Dear Sir,
>   I have HP Proliant ML 370 G4 server with dual Processors 3.6 intel xeon
> and HP Smart RAID controller (Config=>RAID5) (146GB * 6) + (4 GB Of RAM.)
> The server working as application server (Tailored Software) based on
> POSTGRESQL server. I installed the FreeBSD 6.1 to serve 100 users with the
> application so - after period of time I found an error message appeared on
> the server : Kern. Maxfiles Limit Exceeded By UID 1001, Please See Tuning
> (7).
>
>   What is the problem? Can You Help Me because after this message appears
> the server activities down.
>
>   Thanks
>   Ossama Abdel Haleem

The problem is too many files open.

Add this to /etc/sysctl.conf

kern.maxfiles=16144

Then in a terminal type:

sysctl kern.maxfiles=16144

If you still get the error try increasing it some more.

Also you should read man tuning as the  error message suggests, especially the
section about kern.maxfiles.

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com