URGENT: 6.1/amd64 server hangs

Andrea Venturoli ml.diespammer at netfence.it
Mon Dec 18 00:37:12 PST 2006

Hello.
A server I manage is locking too frequently.
The behaviour is very strange: almost nothing works, no daemon is
running, keyboard is ignored, but still the machine will answer pings.

The real problem is that I'm not able to diagnose this, since no message
is displayed on the console or recorded in the logs and no crash is
produced. I compiled DDB in, I can press Ctrl-Alt-Esc and drop into it,
but then again the keyboard won't work, so it's useless.

Although this box features a dual core CPU, I'm running with SMP
disabled, so to leave this out of the way.
Apart from that, the most unusual things this box has are an amr
controller (featuring RAID5) and GELI. Are there any known issues with
these?

How is 6.2 stability right now? Dumping and upgrading is the only thing
I can think about, though I'm not sure whether this would be an
improvement...

Any other hint? Any info I should look for and provide?

  bye & Thanks
	av.