The moving-your-system FAQ: Anything else I should know?

Oliver Iberien odilist at sonic.net
Sun Dec 17 15:16:53 PST 2006

I'm about to move my system, I've read the FAQ, I don't want to rearrange
anything. I want to make sure I have the process down correctly before I try,
so I am asking here. I am using 6.0 #2.

First, I hook up both drives. I partition the new hard drive and label it the
same way as the previous drive.

Then, I would reboot to single-user mode. I would use newfs to create new file
systems form each new partition. I mount each partition in turn to a
temporary mount point and change directory to the newly mounted partition.
Then the FAQ gives the following command for the dump-copy process:

dump 0af - / | restore xf -

This is to be used without modification for each partition.

It this really it? It seems... easy.

Thanks,

Oliver