var out of space

illoai at gmail.com illoai at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 11:11:06 PST 2006

On 17/12/06, Bradley Giesbrecht <brad at pixilla.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I inherited a freebsd installation with a var slice/mount that is to
> small and filling up all the time.
>
> What type of info should I provide to allow someone to help me with a
> solution?
>
> I would very much prefer to not install another drive just for /var.
>
> /usr has plenty of space. Can I mount var off of /usr?

You could do that.

> /dev/ad0s1e    257998  206956    30404    87%    /var

More to the point, you might want to find out what is
filling your /var as that is quite a lot of space being used
if you are not running a mailserver.
du -d1 -h /var (as root) should give you some clues.
The usual suspects are /var/tmp and /var/log, though
on occasion I have had logfile rotation not do its thing
correctly and leave a program writing to a nonexistant
file, filling up /var.