On-the-fly auto charset conversion or something

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Sun Dec 17 10:43:52 PST 2006

Hi!

I now have to work with several charsets simultaneously.
Naturally, I use UTF-8 in xterm, but whenever I need to
work with some exotic (8-bit mostly) charset, I have to
resort to iconv(1), which is not very comfortable.

Does anyone have any idea of how to solve this problem?
I'm thinking on-the-fly charset conversion, but I am
prepared to reconsider my workflow habits and adopt some
policies.

Thanks!