PHP 5 with Apache 1.3

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Sun Dec 17 09:23:57 PST 2006

Hi all,

bit of a long saga, and a (by now) humble question ..

I reinstalled php5-5.2.0 from its package, after having to deinstall
php 4 and reinstall 5 after the only major glitch on a portupgrade -aPP
on a 5.5-STABLE system upgrading old ports, mostly from 5.4-R days.

[FWIW, portupgrading phpMyAdmin from packages forces php5, as does its
dependency pecl-pdflib-2.1.2, neither of which require later than php
4.1 according to their docs.  Anyway, having decided to go with php5 ..]

Despite being listed as "PHP Scripting Language (Apache Module and CLI)"
the php5-5.2.0 package is not built with mod_php5, which seems kinda odd
as that's what most folks want to install php for, I'd have thought?

So I've made php5 from ports (make config; #add 'build Apache module';
make deinstall; make reinstall) and now have a shiny new mod_php5.so and
the install added that to httpd.conf, looking good:

    LoadModule php5_module libexec/apache/libphp5.so
    ..
    AddModule mod_php5.c

However despite also adding to httpd.conf, hopefully in the right place,

    DirectoryIndex index.php index.html
    ..
    AddType application/x-httpd-php .php

and after an apachectl restart (even apachectl stop; apachectl start),
with things looking ok according to /localhost/server-info and -status,

apache still wants to send raw .php pages to Mozilla, which whinges 'the
file ""  is of type application/x-httpd-php ..', offering to save it.

I'm trying this with phpmyadmin, all this was working before on php4,
and I've tried both -dist and -recommended as php.ini

What do I need to do to get Apache to execute mod_php5 on .php files?

Cheers, Ian

(Please cc me, I'm subscribed to the -digest which can take a while)