Unicode support on FreeBSD

a at zeos.net a at zeos.net
Sun Dec 17 01:19:19 PST 2006

CONSOLE

As we know, the console drivers atkbd and sc do not support unicode
(in contrast to linux console drivers, for example).
So we have to use programs able to translate unicode to a single byte
code table. I use my PC successfully in such a manner.

You should set LC_CTYPE to ru_RU.UTF-8 (for russian) before running
X programs, and you should have correct unicode support.
I have the next line in .xinitrc:
env LC_CTYPE=ru_RU.UTF-8 twm
And I have no problem with X programs for years.

Elisej Babenko