xorg on a headless, mouseless, keyboardless box

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Sat Dec 16 15:41:41 PST 2006

On Saturday 16 December 2006 17:32, you wrote:
> > I've used this "ssh -X" that you mention. This works fine for "userland"
> > programs, but in order to troubleshoot my particular issue I'd need to be
> > logged in as root.  When I try to "su" remotely to run the command I get:
> >
> > X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication.
> > X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
>
> I think what's going on is that X puts some authentication information
> in your home directory: ~/.Xauthority. You might try:
> $ su -m
>
> That will preserve your environment (including $HOME). Now when X goes
> looking for the ~/.Xauthority, it will find the one sshd set up in your
> user home directory.

Well, Chris, that was a great suggestion!

I can, in fact, run a gui root process on the remote machine, now.

Unfortunately I still can't run qemu so that I can get the console.  I get:

X Error of failed request:  BadWindow (invalid Window parameter)
  Major opcode of failed request:  25 (X_SendEvent)
  Resource id in failed request:  0x3e
  Serial number of failed request:  18

Any advice on how to setup the remote (headless, mouseless, and keyboardless)
server to run X?  My brain is fried trying to track down a HOWTO, and the
wiki is just a half millimeter left of useless.

Thanks for your input!

Lane