xorg on a headless, mouseless, keyboardless box

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Sat Dec 16 15:11:17 PST 2006

On Dec 16, 2006, at 10:24 AM, Lane wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to run X ... or in some way gain access to the display
> output on a
> remote box that has neither mouse, keyboard, or console.
>
> Is this even possible?
>
> I've been looking at the handbook:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-
> xdm.html#AEN6864
>
> But it doesn't jump out at me how I should make this work.
>
> I've edited /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config and Xaccess to listen
> for the
> connection, but when I run
>
> xdm
>
> on the remote box it fails with "No core pointer"
>
> So I followed the limited instructions on the X wiki and added
>
> Section ServerFlags
> 	option "AllowMouseOpenFail"
> EndSection
>
> But now I get
>
> Fatal error: no screens found.
>
> Is it even possible to have the remote headless box host an X session?
>
> thanks,
>
> lane

Lane,
	Did you by chance remove keyboard / mouse support from your kernel?
kldstat(8) may hold the answers, unless you have the mouse compiled
directly into the kernel. Sounds like that may be your problem:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-newbie@vger.kernel.org/
msg06918.html>.
	So you could try commenting out the mouse and keyboard references,
just to see what happens..
	Another solution that you may want to look into as an alternative to
using xdm is X11 forwarding via SSH.
-Garrett