xorg on a headless, mouseless, keyboardless box

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Sat Dec 16 10:21:53 PST 2006

Hi,

I need to run X ... or in some way gain access to the display output on a
remote box that has neither mouse, keyboard, or console.

Is this even possible?

I've been looking at the handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html#AEN6864

But it doesn't jump out at me how I should make this work.

I've edited /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-config and Xaccess to listen for the
connection, but when I run

xdm

on the remote box it fails with "No core pointer"

So I followed the limited instructions on the X wiki and added

Section ServerFlags
	option "AllowMouseOpenFail"
EndSection

But now I get

Fatal error: no screens found.

Is it even possible to have the remote headless box host an X session?

thanks,

lane