Failure to compile

brian at levie.freeserve.co.uk brian at levie.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Dec 15 08:37:37 PST 2006

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:50:37 +0300
To: brian at levie.freeserve.co.uk, freebsd-questions at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: Failure to compile

[CC to freebsd-questions@ restored]

Hello Brian!

Please, try to not top-post. It's hard to track the thread. Thanks.

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 14:31:04 -0000 Brian Levie wrote:

> Thanks for your reply,

Sorry for the delay (I've been a little bit busy). BTW if you cc'ed to
freebsd-questions@ you may be able to get an answer from somebody else
much faster. ;-)

> FreeBSD is installed in a 1.5Gb partition the rest is windows XP,
downloaded
> an iso file from the web.

OK. Then you should got a system compiler which was overwritten by
Xenix one.

> By Unix files I mean data files which I wrote firstly on a machine running
> Xenix then this was updated to a server running Unix.  These files were
used
> to compile many programs that I wrote in those days.  Xenix installation
> disks are now unobtainable, so I thought I would try FreeBSD>

I think that you may try to compile your programms by the system
compiler (or one from the ports system) and adopt the sources when
needed.

> Uname -a:  FreeBSD 6.1-Release 6.1 Release #0: Sun May 7 04:32:13 UTC
> 2006root at apres cse  buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

> File:  /usr/bin/cc  Microsoft a.outseperate pin semented word swapped not
> stripped V2.3 V3.0 386 small model executable not stripped

Yep, that's why you got "Exec format error". FreeBSD is capable of
running binaries from some other OSes but Xenix is not among them.

> Ls -l: -rwx--x--x 1 root wheel 37376 Nov 3 1993 /usr/bin/cc

...which then you overwrote by another one.

> I hope this is of some help.

Well, to receive a working OS you may either reinstall it or do a
binary update (imho rebuilding is not an option since you overwrote
some system binaries).

Binary
> > file not executable'. I tried changing permissions and owner with no
> change.

> Please, show us the output of commands "uname -a", "file /usr/bin/cc"
> and "ls -l /usr/bin/cc".

> > Any suggestions or won't the unix C compiler not work with FreeBSD?

> Well, FreeBSD is used to be compiled by this compiler. Those troubles
> of yours shouldn't happen. ;-)

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve

I did not realise FreeBSD had a C compiler, I decided to reformat the
partition and reinstall FreeBSD.  It appeared to go well but after exiting
the install I cannot boot it, I get the error message ' Unable to load a
Kernel', what has happened?

Brian