Black Lines on my monitor

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 14 17:11:02 PST 2006

Sequence recovered, long/short syndrome.

On Thursday, 14 December 2006 at  5:42:11 -0800, Renegade Penguin wrote:
> P Tyrrell wrote:
>> Hello - Help
>>
>> About two weeks ago I noticed that there was a shadow appearing on
>> the monitor alond any black type or dark picture - thinking it
>> wasthe monitor I swaped it with another and there are still black
>> lines appearing along the lines of text.
>>
>> What can I do to get rid of this?
>> Please bear in mind youre talking to a layman not a professional techie.
>> thankyou.
>
> If it's the video card, it very likely could be a speck of dust across
> some of the traces on any number of chips on the card.  Taking out the
> video card, blowing it off, and re-seating it may help.  A thorough
> cleaning out of the case could help as well.

And if that doesn't work, then put it in the dishwasher on the hottest
cycle.  If the card doesn't work after that, replace it.

Seriously, I can only assume that your statement was meant as a joke.
Getting back to the original question, the description could be
clearer.  Are these horizontal or vertical?  How wide?  For what I
know, there are several possibilities.  It could really be the card no
longer being able to drive the display adequately, or it could be the
connection between the card and the monitor.  This kind of problem
often occurs when monitors are connected via KVAs.  But to really
understand the situation, you (P) need to describe the appearance of
the shadows more clearly.

Greg