Getting a list of dependencies which have to be installed ?

Chad Gross avatar4d at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 10:50:28 PST 2006

On 12/14/06, Frank Staals <frankstaals at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hey...,
>
> Is there a utility to display the dependencies of a port which have yet
> to be installed ? I know you can get a complete dependency list on
> freebsd.org/ports , pkg_info -r or just looking in the files in the
> ports dir. But is there a command to display only the dependencies which
> haven't been installed on your system yet ? I also looked at pkg_add -n
> but it immediately starts fetching the packages needed. I don't want to
> start downloading the complete package just because I want a list of
> ports I haven't installed yet.
>
> Or is the only way making a diff between the pkg_info -r output and your
> pkg_info -a ? If so : Is there a way to tell pkg_info when using the -r
> flag on a not-yet-installed-port to only get a list of the dependencies
> instead of downloading the complete package ? Or is there just an other
> utility which can display this information which I'm not aware of ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> --
> -Frank Staals

Yes, read man ports before asking :
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=ports&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-RELEASE&format=html

cd to the dir of the port you wish to know the dependencies of and issue one
or both of these commands:

*pretty-print-run-depends-list*, *pretty-print-build-depends-list*
		      Print a list of all the compile and run dependencies,
		      and dependencies of those dependencies.

Chad