nfs_client_enable="YES" usage

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Thu Dec 14 10:47:48 PST 2006

I am running a nfs-client and nfs-server here for quite some time and
I'm very happy about it. The client is my laptop ( running 6.1-RELEASE )
and the server a 6.0-STABLE machine. I have enabled nfs_client with
nfs_client_enable="YES" on my FreeBSD laptop as stated in the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-nfs.html
allthough when I'm not at home I notice FreeBSD halting during boot
after "NFS access cache time=2" , when I hit ctrl+c it continues fine.
Since I always mount my NFS dirs manually I started wondering about how
usefull the entry in /etc/rc.conf was. So I quoted out
nfs_client_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and I still could mount my nfs
dirs perfectly

So my question was: Is the entry in rc.conf only needed when mounting a
nfs dir at boot ? or is it not needed at all ( since my test proved it
isn't needed when you mount the dirs manually after boot )

.. now I have yet to figure out why my ndis NIC won't work when
disableing nfs_client :S ....

--
-Frank Staals