PowerEdge 6850 Install

d.hill at yournetplus.com d.hill at yournetplus.com
Thu Dec 14 09:49:18 PST 2006

I've got an issue with getting FreeBSD to recognize past
four gigs of ram. The server we have has 12 gig. I am able
to successfully recompile the kernel and get the four
CPU's to show up that are installed in the server.

I've taken and attempted to compile the PAE kernel file
and every time the server attempts to boot to the default
option on the standard boot menu, the server reboots
itself. This is a continuous cycle.

Can anyone direct me to what I need to do for having the
server recognize all 12 gig? I've seen threads on using
the ia64 install, however the install notes state it is
for the Itanium and Itanium 2 CPU's. Attempting to boot
from the first ISO CD doesn't do anything.

The server is a PowerEdge 6850 with four 3.0ghz DualCore
Intel Zeon processors with 12 gig ram. Perc4 onboard
controller with five 73gig 10K RPM drives.

Thanks