How does one bond two interfaces together to share bandwidth?

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Wed Dec 13 17:13:42 PST 2006

In the last episode (Dec 13), N. Harrington said:
>  I am trying to figure out how to bond or combine 2 interfaces
> together. Such that they each share traffic.
>
>  I have tried one way, however when I use it I seem to have an odd
> broadcast occuring on my switch. Such that I am seeing incoming
> traffic hit some other ports on the switch.  Can someone confirm if I
> am doing it correctly? Perhaps I have a switch issue? Do I also need
> to bond the ports together on the switch? Sadly the switch they are
> connected to does not support port bonding. Does that matter? I have
> not seen any mention of that being required.

If the remote switch doesn't support it, only outgoing traffic will be
split across both ports.  Incoming traffic will probably come in on the
first port that came up, or the switch may decide that there's a
routing loop (or other misconfiguration) because the same MAC address
is seen on both ports, and disable one of the ports (or even both).
Most managed switches should support it; they may call it trunking.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com