How does one bond two interfaces together to share bandwidth?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Dec 13 17:10:53 PST 2006

On Dec 13, 2006, at 5:01 PM, N. Harrington wrote:
>  I have tried one way, however when I use it I seem to
> have an odd broadcast occuring on my switch. Such that
> I am seeing incoming traffic hit some other ports on
> the switch.  Can someone confirm if I am doing it
> correctly? Perhaps I have a switch issue?
> Do I also need to bond the ports together on the
> switch?

Yes, the switch would need to support Cisco's FEC protocol if you
want to use ng_fec with it.

> Sadly the switch they are connected to does
> not support port bonding. Does that matter?

Yep.  In many cases, a single 100Mbs link does just fine, but if you
need more bandwidth, you can pick up a gigabit NIC nowadays for not
much.  Picking up a GB-capable switch is more expensive, but perhaps
your existing switch might have one or a couple of GB ports...

--
-Chuck