Install via ports...

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Wed Dec 13 16:32:19 PST 2006

On Wed, Dec 13, 2006 at 07:00:20PM -0500, Ne'Bahn wrote:

> Hi list, I've read the handbook for ports, basically (if I understand)
> ports are files that brings information (location, dependencies) to the
> system to compile a series of files (sources) to have the final piece of
> software. Very nice with the advantages that comes with this type of
> installation, but, what about a big applications like Gnome, OpenOffice and
> so on. I can't try ports because I can't have a fast/long connection for
> downloads (due to some restrictions on my country) so I always install via
> packages, and it takes a while, well a little bit. So what I am asking if
> is anyone has test a Gnome, OpenOffice.org, or any other big installations
> via ports (say in a Pentium 4 2.8GHz HT with 512Mb RAM) can tell me the
> elapsed time ??? Just curious...thanks in advance.

I don't know about Gnome, but the last time I built OpenOffice
from a port, it took several hours and I had to respond to some
prompts and also get the JDK license piece from SUN (instructions
are provided).   The install from ports did not have to stay
connected constantly all that time.  It jumps on the net and
grabs what it needs and then goes about building.   My connection
is 100 Mb here in the lab, but I don't know for sure what it is to
the outside world - pretty fast though.

////jerry