Increasing ptys/ttys beyond 128

Eric Brunson brunson at brunson.com
Wed Dec 13 09:44:43 PST 2006

I've done some searching on the web, but everything I've come across is
either out of date and says to recompile the kernel, or else says that
after 5.1 the devfs does it automatically.  I don't think that's the case.

I'm running 6.1 and I need more than the [pt]ty[p-sP-S] devices that
will auto-clone in devfs.

I've tried adding lines like the following to /etc/default/devfs.rules:

add path 'ptyt*' unhide
add path 'ttyt*' unhide

But that doesn't do the trick.  The syntax "unhide" implies to me that
the [p-sP-S] nodes exist but but are hidden by the hide_all ruleset.

What do I have to do to allow the creation of more ptys?

Thanks,
e.