How does my computer work with an empty arp table?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Dec 12 10:22:40 PST 2006

On Dec 12, 2006, at 10:08 AM, Javier Henderson wrote:
>> The ARP table only contains information about machines on the
>> directly connected collision domain(s).
>
> Are you sure it's not the same broadcast domain?

Yes.  The term "collision domain" predates the wide deployment of
switches, and switches have to treat ARPs in a special fashion:

> A computer on port A on a switch would be on a different collision
> domain than a computer on port B on the same switch, yet as long as
> they're on the same VLAN (ie, broadcast domain), both would have
> each other in their resepctive ARP tables if they were exchanging
> Ethernet traffic.

...in particular, ARPOP_REQUEST traffic will be propagated to every
port on the switch which is configured to be a part of that VLAN, or,
quite possibly, other ports including "trunk ports" or sometimes even
ports configured on other VLANs. [1]

Many switches will do this for all ethernet packets with an
ether_dhost (ie, destination MAC) of all-ones.

--
-Chuck

[1]: And yes, Virginia, this has negatory implications if your
security relies on VLANs to actually be completely hidden from each
other.