X server remote login

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Mon Dec 11 12:32:51 PST 2006

I'm a noob myself, but I just did this, so:

1) edit etc/ttys, so the 8th one has xdm and change the no to yes in the
second to last field (test by rebooting, should go to an x login, after a
slight pasue) ctrl-alt-f<n> will still get you back to the text terminals.

2) edit the .Xaccess file in the location specified for xdm in the handbook,
add a "LISTEN *" line.

3) edit the xdm-config file, and uncomment that last line that says xdm
shouldn't look outside.

4) We use Xming and OpenSSH to connect from windows - configure Xming for
the ssh login method, and tell it to run a program, namely "gnome-seesion",
"xfce4-session", or "xterm" depending on how much X you want.  I'll send you
my Xming launcher file if you like.

Thoughts - make sure you can run startx normally on the machine, and logon
once with raw ssh so it can do the key thing and store it - doesn't seem to
work from Xming that first time.  I'm aauming you are connecting from
windows.  On another freebsd box, one would assume it's easier
thanconfiguring xming.

best,
Steve

On 12/9/06, dick hoogendijk <dhoogendijk at demarskramer.nl> wrote:

> I run solaris and FreeBSD. In solaris I can login on a remote machine
> with an X session. I can't see my freebsd machine though. I have no idea
> where the config to make this possible resides on FreeBSD. I guess X
> runs without broadcasting itself on fbsd. How can I change this?
>
> --
> http://nagual.nl/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
> ++ Running FreeBSD 6.1 ++ Solaris 10 6/06 ++

Steve Franks, KE7BTE
Staff Engineer
La Palma Devices, LLC
http://www.lapalmadevices.com