X server remote login

Nathan Vidican nvidican at wmptl.com
Mon Dec 11 06:03:20 PST 2006

dick hoogendijk wrote:
> On 09 Dec Tony Shadwick wrote:
>
>> On the xserver, if you want it to happen automatically, you would put
>> startx in your .login file.  So if you wanted that flag passed, you
>> would place startx -listen_tcp in your .login file.
>>
>> On the client side, you're running an x-client, I presume that gets
>> started from /etc/rc.conf.  There's probably something like
>> xorg_enable="YES", and xorg_flags="blah", and you would put it in your
>> xorg_flags statement.
>>

> Xserver/Xclient side is still a bit confusing to me.
> What happens is, when I logon to a solaris machine I get a login screen
> on which I also can logon to remote machines graphicaly. I can even chose
> from a list there, because these remote machines broadcast themselves?
> All solaris machines are seen; my FreeBSD machines are not. The latter I
> want changed, so I can chose to logon to a FreeBSD (remote) machine from
> my solaris desktop machine. Hope this will clear things up a bit.

As another user pointed out; what you're looking for is xdm. xdm is
xorg's remote login screen, for lack of a better description; it's what
will allow you to directly login to X from other stations, rather than
via shell/startx. You might want to take a look at alternatives too - I
use kdm, which is KDE's implementation of xdm, allowing you a little
easier and a little more control over the login screen/appearence via
KDE''s graphical configuration setup, but functionally the same as xdm.

--
Nathan Vidican
nvidican at wmptl.com