Major Version Upgrade - 4.11 to 5.x

Beech Rintoul beech at alaskaparadise.com
Sun Dec 10 17:54:19 PST 2006

On Sunday 10 December 2006 15:41, Valen Jones wrote:
> I'm interested in upgrading from 4.11 to 5.x.  I currently track 4.x
> stable using cvsup, but I've never done a major version upgrade.
>
> First, should I bother?  My hardware has dual pentium 1.13 processors
> with 1G ram (I'm considering maxing it out at 4).  I host a few domains
> on this machine and I have four jails configured on it which will have
> to be upgraded too.  I have users counting particularly on mail service
> not being down for too long.
>
> Other than the obvious advice to start with a good backup, can anyone
> tell me:
>
> 1)  Will I gain a major benefit from upgrading
Yes, all development and support for 4.x will cease in a couple of months.

> 2)  Where should I look for instructions / advice on upgrading
The handbook,, search the lists and read UPGRADING.

> 3)  Also any general advice from personal experience.
If you're going to upgrade you might as well run 6.x. 5.x tended to be
problematic and 6.x is far more stable in my opinion. The ideal way is to do
a clean install. For one thing the filesystem has undergone significant
improvements which you won't have the benefit of unless you clean install.
Other than that consider doing a binary upgrade, otherwise you will have to
upgrade to 5.x before going to 6.x. Search this list as this exact subject
came up a few days ago with some fairly detailed responses. Also, you should
plan on rebuilding ALL your ports even if your running compat 4.

Good luck,

Beech

Beech Rintoul - Sys. Administrator - beech at alaskaparadise.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | Alaska Paradise Travel
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9Th Avenue Ste.310
/ \  - Please visit Alaska Paradise - http://www.alaskaparadise.com