Configuration of Grub?

David Stanford dthomas53 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 9 14:19:38 PST 2006

> I tried this with (hd3,0,a) and (hd3,1,a).
> It didn't work.
>
> I got a message like: disk is not existing (don't remember the exact
> message)

See below.

If I understood right the hdd in Linux translates to ad3 in FreeBSD?

> > 1.) the hard drive and 2.)
> > the partition you installed FreeBSD on.
>
> hdd/ad3 I used all the disk for FreeBSD and I used the automatic
> configuration.

ad3 may be (and probably is) correct for you, but this has no relationship
with the 'hdx' format that Grub uses. Using 'hd3' in your Grub config would
suggest that you have installed FreeBSD on the fourth (counting 0, 1, 2, 3)
hard drive on your machine. If you have only one hard drive on your machine
and have installed FreeBSD on it, you would have to use 'hd0' (the *first*
hard drive) in your config. You would use 'hd1' if you installed on your
second hard drive, and so on. I would guess, since you mentioned ad3, that
you have installed FreeBSD on a second hard drive; if so, try the following:

title FreeBSD
        root (hd1,0,a)
        kernel /boot/loader

Right now Linux can not read the FreeBSD disk. Does FreeBSD have its own
> filesystem?

Yes, by default FreeBSD uses UFS2. There is almost certainly a third party
app out there that will allow you to read UFS2 from Linux if this is what
you want to do at some point. You can also check 'man mount' under SUSE to
see if there is built-in support for mounting UFS2 filesystems (though this
is probably a long shot).

Ans if it has its own filesystem how can grub read the /boot/loader in
> there?

SUSE may not be able to read it, but remember that Grub is independent (so
to speak) from Linux and has support for booting *BSD OS's.

Do I have to copy the loader on my Linux drive, configure it there so
> FreeBSD
> can then start?

No, not at all. Like I said, I'm sure your error is in your menu.lst 'root'
config. Many people have dual-boot Linux/FreeBSD setups, and I myself used
to have a Gentoo/FreeBSD/Windows setup using Grub way back, and copying
files from one filesystem to another was never necessary.

Is there any other way to start the system on that disk? From the install-CD
> maybe?

Hmm, never tried. You may have to use FreeSBIE for something like this, but,
again, try your config first.

Good luck!

-David
--
[root at fbsd ~]# fortune
Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion.