how do I see security logs without turning on sendmail?

Tuareg tuaregmex at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 09:16:34 PST 2006

On 12/5/06, Lane <lane at joeandlane.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 05 December 2006 21:49, Wasp King wrote:
> > is there a way that one can specify a log place to see
> > daily logs like you receive from root at localhost, when
> > sendmail is turned on?
> >
> > there must be a way to enable only local mail
> > delivery...but I am not sure how..
> >
> > would like to shut down sendmail but want to see
> > security logs.
> >
> > thanks.
> >
> > Zach
> > using FreeBSD 4.2 and sendmail 8.x (maybe).

> IIRC, sendmail has three controlling values in /etc/rc.conf:
>
> sendmail_enable="YES"
> sendmail_enable="NO"
> and
> sendmail_enable="NONE"
>
> The third value, "NONE," causes the boot process to ignore any attempt to
> start sendmail.
>
> The second value, "NO," causes the boot process to start sendmail for
> "local
> delivery, only" (i.e. do NOT accept inbound connections from external
> hosts).
>
> The first value, "YES," causes the boot process to start sendmail for
> outgoing
> and incoming SMTP connections.
>
> There are many "tweaks" that you can use in /etc/rc.conf - (refer
> to /etc/defaults/rc.conf) - that will allow various flavors of sendmail
> usage.  See also, /etc/rc.sendmail.
>
> In your case sendmail_enable="NO" should allow the local system to
> send "periodic" information to root at localhost, or whatever alias you use
> in /etc/mail/aliases, while disallowing external hosts from sending email
> by
> way of the local host.  Note that this requires that you pay heed
> to /etc/mail/Makefile and associated README documentation
> in /usr/src/contrib/sendmail and below.
>
> Best of luck!
>

> lane

Hi...  Where I'm working, have many servers with FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x, this
servers are enable to send mail but the daemon of sendmail is not launched.

Now, we have installed FreeBSD 6.1 STABLE, but can't reply this schema.

Which file needs to be modified in /etc/mail to allow the server to send
emails to our real mailserver so we can receive the results of some scripts
without launching the daemon of sendmail?

We have tried using sendmail="NO", in rc.conf, but we only get this
messages:

user at mydomain.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
user at mydomain.com... Deferred: Permission denied

Thank you for your help in advance.