The Opera browser on FreeBSD

Arjan van Leeuwen freebsd-maintainer at opera.com
Wed Dec 6 14:01:12 PST 2006

Op Wed, 06 Dec 2006 21:46:12 +0100 schreef Scott Mitchell
<scott+lists.freebsd at fishballoon.org>:

> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 05:51:59PM +0000, Scott Mitchell wrote:
>>
>> Followed your instructions, put my linux-flashplugin and acroread plugin
>> directories on Opera's plugin search path  and... wow! everything
>> suddenly
>> started working.
>
> I was asked off-list how I set up the plugin search path to get this
> stuff
> working.  Copying my reply here in case it's useful to anyone else:
>
> First you'll need to have the www/linux-flashplugin7 and print/acroread7
> ports installed - these obviously require the Linux emulation layer to be
> installed (emulators/linux_base-fc4 port) and enabled (linux_enable="YES"
> in /etc/rc.conf).
>
> Then all I did in Opera was:
> - Open the Tools -> Preferences dialog
> - Switch to the "Advanced" tab then pick "Content" from the left-hand
> menu
> - Make sure plugins are enabled
> - Open the "Plug-in options" dialog
> - Click on "Change path..." and add these two paths to the list:
>         /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin
>         /local/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Browser/intellinux
>   Those are the locations of the libflashplayer.so and nppdf.so plugin
>   libraries - I expect the paths will be the same on your machine
> - Click "OK" to get out of the plug-in path dialog
> - Click "Find new" on the Plugins dialog - you should get the "Adobe
> Reader
>   7.0" and "Shockwave Flash" plugins listed now.
> - OK out of all the dialogs and try browsing some sites with Flash or PDF
>   documents on them...
>
> I did have both Flash and Acrobat already working with the Linux Firefox
> port and partly working with native Firefox, so I wouldn't guarantee that
> some of the stuff I have in /etc/libmap.conf (essentially whatever the
> linuxpluginwrapper port told me to use) isn't important.

I can guarantee it isn't important :). Since Opera forks off a Linux
process to run the actual plugin, the libmap.conf entries are ignored (and
unnecessary). For all the plugin knows, it's running in the Linux version
of Opera.

Arjan

http://www.opera.com/mail/