how do I see security logs without turning on sendmail?

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Tue Dec 5 20:06:17 PST 2006

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 21:49, Wasp King wrote:
> is there a way that one can specify a log place to see
> daily logs like you receive from root at localhost, when
> sendmail is turned on?
>
> there must be a way to enable only local mail
> delivery...but I am not sure how..
>
> would like to shut down sendmail but want to see
> security logs.
>
> thanks.
>
> Zach
> using FreeBSD 4.2 and sendmail 8.x (maybe).

IIRC, sendmail has three controlling values in /etc/rc.conf:

sendmail_enable="YES"
sendmail_enable="NO"
and
sendmail_enable="NONE"

The third value, "NONE," causes the boot process to ignore any attempt to
start sendmail.

The second value, "NO," causes the boot process to start sendmail for "local
delivery, only" (i.e. do NOT accept inbound connections from external hosts).

The first value, "YES," causes the boot process to start sendmail for outgoing
and incoming SMTP connections.

There are many "tweaks" that you can use in /etc/rc.conf - (refer
to /etc/defaults/rc.conf) - that will allow various flavors of sendmail
usage.  See also, /etc/rc.sendmail.

In your case sendmail_enable="NO" should allow the local system to
send "periodic" information to root at localhost, or whatever alias you use
in /etc/mail/aliases, while disallowing external hosts from sending email by
way of the local host.  Note that this requires that you pay heed
to /etc/mail/Makefile and associated README documentation
in /usr/src/contrib/sendmail and below.

Best of luck!

lane