(repost) cannot read windows share

张韡武 weiwu at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Dec 4 22:36:50 PST 2006

在 2006-12-04一的 19:46 -0600,Lane写道:

> weiwu,
>
> One thing comes to mind:  Try your question here:
> Your question is specific to samba, and probably not related to
> FreeBSD-specific issues.

My question is DIRECTLY freebsd-related because:
     I. samba itself don't have this problem (tried on SuSE, Debian and
        Gentoo). "mount -t cifs" on Linux works fine.
    II. mount_smbfs is a freebsd native tool
   III. charset conversion options of samba (iocharset and codepage) do
        not work for mount_smbfs because mount_smbfs do not have these
        options;
    IV. mount_smbfs's charset option (-E) do not work for samba because
        samba don't have this option
     V. samba's charset conversation is not using kernel module,
        freebsd's mount_smbfs use kernel libiconv.ko module for
        conversion;
    VI. I tried to install samba from ports, and end up having samba
        installed WITHOUT 'smbmount' command-line utility, it seems this
        command is carefully removed for FreeBSD's port, forcing people
        to use FreeBSD's mount_samba

Other strange thing:

I changed my locale to GB18030 and now I can list the Chinese
directories, but if I enter a Chinese directory then the application who
tries to enter the directory (e.g. ls) hangs. So it is strange for
me ... to understand.