Duo core enable/support help.

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Mon Dec 4 16:56:11 PST 2006

On Monday 04 December 2006 18:40, Marwan Sultan wrote:
> Hello Gurus,
>
>   I just had Intel 102, duo core, fresh freebsd 6.1r installed.
>   but i have been told that i have to enable duo core thing in kernel
>   what should i have there? only options         SMP ?
>
>    what about the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/SMP file? shall i copy the options
> to MYKERNEL ?
>
>     in shortwords what should i do to enable duo core and fix my bugs,
>     here is the dmesg output, with lot of thanks.

Marwan,

First read /usr/src/UPDATING.

Really.

No, really.  I mean read it :)

And, since no one expects you to really, really read it, I'll give you some
shortcuts.

First, look for the word KERNCONF in /usr/src/UPDATING

Read all of the language around every occurence of that word (KERNCONF).

Then, when you are ready, do this:

make buildkernel KERNCONF=SMP
make installkernel KERNCONF=SMP

Then reboot.

Note here that I'm giving you the shortest possible route, which may be
problematic for you.  You really must become familiar with /usr/src/UPDATING.

Anyway, after the reboot, you should type:

cat /var/log/messages | grep -i launch

if you see the terms "CPU1 Launched!" then you've got yourself an SMP kernel.

Good Luck!

lane