Configuring DNS (BIND) in isolation

Andrew Falanga af300wsm at gmail.com
Mon Dec 4 12:29:34 PST 2006

> You're on the right track.  Yes, you'ld need a zone file for the root of
> your DNS -- if it's all served from one machine then that would replace
> the
> 'hint' zone and named.root stuff in the example named.conf
>
> The zone file for '.' would contain an SOA record and then delegation for
> whatever forward and reverse domains you want to use.  Eg. supposing you
> want to use the TLD 'in.isolation' with IP numbers from 192.168.0.0/24
> then you'ld need something like:
>
>     ;
>     ; Root of the private domain name system
>     ;
>     $TTL 604800    ; 1 week
>
>     @             IN      SOA ns0.in.isolation. hostmaster.in.isolation. (
>                               2006120100 ;  Serial
>                               1800       ;  Refresh (30min)
>                               900        ;  Retry (15min)
>                               604800     ;  Expire (1week)
>                               86400 )    ;  Minimum (1day)
>     in.isolation.            IN  NS ns0.in.isolation.
>     0.168.192.in-addr.arpa.  IN  NS ns0.in.isolation.
>     ns0.in.isolation.        IN  A 192.168.0.1   ; Glue
>     ;
>     ; That's All Folks!
>     ;

Ok, here's the problems I've got so far.  I've made the following files,

isolated.zone, isolated.rev, localhost.rev, localhost-v6.rev and root.zone

The isolated.* files are for the forward addresses and the reverse pointers
for 192.168.0.0/24 that I've set up.  The root.zone file contains, what I
thought should be, for the "." zone.  (Matthew, from your message above, I
wasn't clear if all I'd need is what you have above, or that it was implied
that I'd need a SOA for the "." zone as well.  So, I made one.)

Now, I'm getting a few errors.  Sometimes it seems that named can't find the
files that I told it to look for in named.conf.  I used the original
named.conf file as a reference, and just filled in the "blanks" as it were,
for my zones.

Also, named keeps complaining about rndc.key files missing.  How do I
generate these key files?  I didn't find anything from 'man rndc'?

Andy