VoIP behind NAT and FreeBSD

Derrick Edwards derrick at uniquestrength.net
Sat Dec 2 07:24:58 PST 2006

On Saturday 02 December 2006 09:22, Joe Holden wrote:
> Kurt Dethier wrote:
> > Marwan Sultan wrote:
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >>  Well, maybe the subject says all,
> >>  Im running 6.1R acting as NAT, gateway ofcourse, hotspot.
> >>  I have many clients trying to use Vonage, motorola, VoIP devices and
> >>  and few more products.
> >>
> >>  The problem is as its described in some websites..
> >>  They can call, receive a call, hear the dailtone but no one can hear
> >> the other party.
> >>
> >>   After researching i found out there is a problem iusing FreeBSD NAT
> >> with voip protocols.
> >>
> >>   i have been advised to use STUN servers, (Simple Traversal of UDP
> >> through NATs.)
> >>   I found out there is net/stund port and its installed successufly!
> >>   but still lost.
> >>
> >>   Can someone kindly and please shade a light on howto
> >>   make voip behind NAT works in my FreeBSD ? im in trouble because of
> >> this.
> >
> > Hi Marwan,
> > STUN will only work if you have the correct NAT implementation on
> > your gateway. If you are using pf, you get what the STUN RFC calls
> > a symmetric NAT. STUN will not help you in such an implementation.
> > I'm not sure how the other NAT solutions on FreeBSD are implemented.
> >
> > If you need a solution for a symmetric NAT, you need something that
> > understands the signaling protocol and can add fw/nat rules on demand
> > on your gateway, or a media proxy (like TURN).
> >
> > Kurt
>
> It is entirely possible to use voip behnd symmetric nat, but it also
> entirely depends on the setup, some more details will help.
>
> Ta,
> Joe

	Hi,
I am not sure of your setup either, but I have Vongae working behind a FreeBSD
Firewall/Router using PF with NAT.

Vonage Traffic viewed via PFTOP.

udp    Out 172.16.1.1:10000      69.59.242.83:10000       MULTIPLE:MULTIPLE
2688m    48  18146  9967K

udp    Out 172.16.1.1:10112      69.59.243.178:12044      MULTIPLE:MULTIPLE
61    33   3382 674816

udp    Out 172.16.1.1:10113      69.59.243.178:12045        SINGLE:NO_TRAFFIC
56     2     14   2348

v/r
Derrick