Dell PERC5/e RAID controller in 2950

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Fri Dec 1 11:47:37 PST 2006

--On Friday, December 01, 2006 10:43:31 -0500 Adam Todorski
<todora at scorec.rpi.edu> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I see that this topic was discussed back in October but my specific
> question was not answered in that exchange.  My question is:
>
> I am considering a Dell 2950 with the PERC5/e SAS RAID controller
> attached to their MD1000 SAS JBOD product and I would like to run 6.2-
> RELEASE on it (when it comes out).  Has anyone had any experience with
> this hardware scenario with FreeBSD?  Is the PERC5/e controller
> supported?  How well does it work with FreeBSD?  My research on this
> topic has not lead to a conclusion one way or another, as the man page
> for the mfi(4) driver indicates that the PARC5/i (the internal
> controller in the 2950 that I will have the OS live on) is supported and
> that the LSI 8480E is supported (which I've heard that the PERC5/e is
> based on) but not the PERC5/e explicitly.

I'm using the mfi driver for Dell's PERC5/i SAS RAID controller on a 1950,
and it works fine.  I do not know if it will support the PERC5/e
controller, but you could email the driver author and ask him specifically.
(His email address is in the man page.)  There has been *some* discussions
on this list about those controllers, but I don't know of anyone who has
definitively stated that the mfi driver works for PERC5/e.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/