NTPD not keeping time

Kris Anderson ciscoaix at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 09:56:31 PST 2006

--- Chuck Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2006, at 12:55 PM, Kris Anderson wrote:
> >> Your clock is off by a little over an hour; while
> >> ntpd can correct very large offsets, doing so
> takes a long time.
> >> Kill ntpd, re-run "ntpdate -b", double-check that
> your clock is sane,
> >> and then re-start ntpd.
>
> > Off by an hour? Let's see the date is November
> 30th,
> > and 12:41pm, that's what Windows says. Meanwhile
> > freebsd says - Thu Nov 30 00:22:07 PST 2006.
> Wouldn't
> > that be...nearly 12 hours?
>
> I was judging the time-offset by the output of "ntpq
> -p".
Ah, okay. Thanks. :)
> However, if you are dual-booting between FreeBSD and
> Windows, you
> will also need to consider whether to keep the
> CMOS/BIOS clock
> running in UTC or in your local timezone; see "man
> adjkerntz" for
> details.
Nope, not dual booting, see below. :|

> It's entirely possible that doing a "touch
> /etc/wall_cmos_clock" will
> solve your issue.
The file already exists, I have the timezone set to
PST. :)
> [ ... ]
> >> If you are not providing time sync to a large
> subnet, please consider
> >> using stratum-2 servers or the NTP pool, ie,
> pool.ntp.org, or more
> >> specific regional parts, such as
> 0.us.pool.ntp.org,
> >> 1.us.pool.ntp.org--
> >> this is assuming from your IP that you are
> located in the US,
> >> otherwise
> >> choose the appropriate country code for
> where-ever you are.
>
> > I'll give it a shot and see what happens, I did
> just
> > that yesterday. Okay, changed my pool since it's
> > keep this computer's time correct.
> >
> > Thanks for your help. :)
>
> You are most welcome.
>
> --
> -Chuck
Darn the system time strayed over night. One thing I
failed to mention is that freebsd is running on a
virtual machine. The system it is runing on is Windows
2003, the time and all that system are correct. I
turned on ntpd because for some strange reason the
date and time were still not in keeping with the
system time, or so I thought. I'ld have to
re-investigate that to be sure. Over the weekend I'll
stop the ntpd and see what happens to the time when
Monday rolls around.